Friday, July 12, 2013

The world through a filter-truths about why we see life the way we do.

Photography has been a passion of mine since I took my first photography class as a Junior in high school.  This was back in the day when digital photography was just becoming accessible so I was introduced to photography through 35mm film.  I had an ancient black and white camera Fuji camera that my parents secured at a pawn shop when I took the class.  We always shot on black and white film, it was the easiest to process.  One of the most confusing and interesting assignments I selected had to do with lens filters.  I am no physicist so be aware that my  interpretation of the science may not be close to spot on.

Visible light travels at different frequencies- that is where color comes from.  When you take a picture with a colored filter over your lens, it blocks certain colors while allowing others.  A green filter will let every wavelength of light through except the green ones.  The result on black and white film is that what should appear colored will appear to have no color.  Digging through my old stuff I found a couple of pictures from this assignment.  The one with the trees was shot with a green filter so the leaves and flora appear white.  The one of my friend was shot with a red filter, so his red polo appears white.



Having a filter on the lens dramatically influences what you see in the view finder and even more dramatically influences what comes out in the print.

When it comes to human experience, every interaction is experienced through a filter.  Without awareness of the filter we are seeing the world through, we tend to miss out on experiencing the things that we want to.  Each of our experiences gives us another filter we add to our bag.  The filter we are using is influenced by our mood; and on a happy day we are more likely to see what corresponds with that filter.  If my experience in close relationships teaches me that I will be hurt, criticized, neglected, misunderstood, brushed aside, or devalued, I am likely to see that in most of my close relationships.

It takes work to recognize the filter we are using to experience our lives.  As we collect experiences through our filters, we don't come equipped with an awareness that what we are seeing is distorted.  Perception is reality.  When we tell our stories and become aware of patterns of hurt, nurturing, safety, neglect, intimacy, health, and confusion we become better equipped to select the filter that we need.  If I am experiencing my world through the filter of rejection, it will be very difficult for me to see the acceptance or support that exists in my support systems.  Filtering our experience and perceptions is not meant to  create a pain free or a problem free world.  We have to experience our pain and problems if we are to keep our sanity.  Switching the filter assists in the process when it comes time to seek relief and healing from our pain.  What filter are you looking through today?

No comments:

Post a Comment